RICHMOND HILL – Steven Del Duca and the Ontario Liberals will better support and pay our health care heroes who we rely on to care for us and our loved ones.
“It is time that PSWs and nurses have fair wages that match their incredible contributions, and not just for the pandemic. Our plan will raise wages, increase hiring and make sure workers are valued and supported,” said Del Duca. “The Ford Conservatives’ took a sledge hammer to health workers by capping wages, taking away paid sick days, cutting safety inspections and leaving staff to fend for themselves.”
Ontario Liberals will:
- Raise PSW base pay to at least $25/hour and increase wages for health care workers;
- Guarantee access to mental health services for all health professionals;
- Establish and enforce protest exclusion zones around health care buildings;
- Close the gaps and increase wages for health workers across home and community care, long-term care and hospitals; and
- Repeal the wage-capping Bill 124 and the sections of Bill 106 gutting the Pay Equity Act.
In addition to boosting pay, we will also provide top-ups for short-staffed shift work – as well as deliver fair and consistent pay across home and community care, long-term care and hospitals and fair wages for all PSWs, Registered Practical Nurses and Registered Nurses.
Our plan will guarantee access to mental health services for all health professionals. Finally, we’ll establish and enforce protest exclusion zones around health care buildings to protect patients and staff.
“Our health system is in crisis with staff turnover and burnout at an all time high. The Liberal plan will make sure front-line health workers are valued, paid more and can access mental health services,” concluded Del Duca. “Unlike the Ford Conservatives, I will pay the wages necessary, and prioritize care over the profits of private home care and long-term care operators so our seniors receive the care they deserve.”