The Ontario Liberal Party is entering an exciting period of renewal and you can be a part of it! On the weekend of March 6-7, 2020 at the International Centre in Mississauga, we’ll come together for a leadership convention that will spark renewal throughout our party. We will move forward from the convention with a vision that builds on the progress we’ve delivered as a party and puts forward positive new ideas for a brighter future in Ontario.
Leadership Process – Step by Step Videos
On November 26, 2019 and January 7, 2020, Jack Siegel, the Chief Returning Officer of the 2020 Leadership Election, hosted online information sessions to walk party members through the leadership process. The session recordings cover key dates and key terms, the requirements for membership, the process of becoming a candidate for a delegate spot at the convention, how voting will work at Leadership Election Meetings, and finally how the Leader will be selected at the Convention in Mississauga. Watch a recording below to learn more.
Watch the recording of the November 26, 2019 Leadership Information Session below:
Watch the recording of the January 7, 2020 Leadership Information Session below:
Meet the Candidates
The official candidates in the 2020 Leadership Election include (in alphabetical order):
Watch the Debates
The official 2020 Leadership Debate Schedule can be found here:
- Candidate Showcase (Toronto) – Thursday, November 28, 2019, at 7:00 PM EST | WATCH LIVESTREAM RECORDING
- Guelph Leadership Debate – Sunday, December 8, 2019, at 1:00 PM EST | WATCH LIVESTREAM RECORDING
- Windsor Leadership Debate – Thursday, December 12, 2019, at 7:00 PM EST | WATCH LIVESTREAM RECORDING
- Ottawa Leadership Debate – Monday, January 20, 2020, at 7:00 PM EST | LEARN MORE
- Sudbury Leadership Debate – Rescheduled to Thursday, January 30 at 7:00PM | LEARN MORE
- Markham Leadership Debate – Saturday, February 1, 2020, at 1:00 PM EST | LEARN MORE
- Toronto Leadership Debate – Monday, February 24, 2020, at 7:00 PM EST | LEARN MORE
Note: all dates, times, and locations are subject to change at the sole discretion of the Ontario Liberal Party.
Vote in a Leadership Election Meeting
Leadership Election Meetings (or LEMs) will take place on:
- Saturday, February 8, 2020, from 3:00 PM-8:00 PM
- Central West Region
- North Region
- South Central Region
- South West Region
- Sunday, February 9, 2020, from 3:00 PM-8:00 PM
- Central East Region
- Central North Region
- East Region
- Toronto (Etobicoke/Downtown/East York) Region
- Toronto (York/North York/Scarborough) Region
There will be an LEM in each of the 124 ridings across the province as well as the 12 women’s clubs and 13 student clubs. For a complete list of student and women’s clubs, please see the ‘Important Documents’ section below.
Become a Delegate
Delegates elected at LEMs will be eligible to attend the 2020 Leadership Convention on behalf of their riding association. Only supporters who were signed up as official members at the time they submitted their delegate form are eligible to stand for election as a delegate. The deadline to submit was Friday, January 17 at 5:00 PM EST and submissions are now closed.
Attend the 2020 Leadership Convention
The convention will be held at the International Centre in Mississauga on March 6-7, 2020. Only Ex-Officio delegates and delegates and alternates who ran for election at an LEM, who pay the convention registration fee will be eligible to attend the convention.
Special early-bird registration rates for the convention must be purchased by the deadline at 5:00 PM on Friday, February 21. The early-bird rates are as follows:
|Red Trillium Club||$349|
Delegates registering AFTER the early-bird registration deadline will do so at the regular registration rates which are as follows:
|Red Trillium Club||$449|
Online registration will open on February 13, 2020, and close on Monday, March 2, 2020 at 5:00 PM. To learn more about special hotel booking rates, click here or visit the important documents section below.
Become a Leadership Volunteer
The leadership process is being led by a neutral team made up of Secretary General Christine McMillan, Chief Returning Officer Jack Siegel, and the staff at Party Headquarters.
The leadership team will also need an army of neutral volunteers to help with data entry, event logistics, conducting LEMs, and executing the 2020 Convention. These volunteers cannot take a side in the race. If you would like to become a neutral leadership volunteer, sign and submit a Declaration of Neutrality Form to email@example.com.
- Memorandum regarding the 2020 Ontario Liberal Party Leadership Election
- Official Call to the Ontario Liberal Party 2020 Leadership Convention
- Rules of Procedure Governing the Selection of the Leader
- Rules of Procedure for Membership
- Official List of Ontario Young Liberal Clubs
- Official List of Ontario Women’s Liberal Clubs
- Official List of Leadership Election Meeting Dates, Times, and Locations
- Leadership Convention Hotel Information Sheet
Questions & More Information
If you have questions about the 2020 Leadership process, want more or information, or simply need assistance finding tools to navigate the leadership process, let us know! Contact the Party office at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information about the leadership race, members of the media can contact email@example.com.