TORONTO — Only a week after a vibrant and well-attended AGM with an unprecedented level of engagement from first time delegates, the newly energized Ontario Liberal Party (OLP) Executive Council members delivered on the promise to make significant decisions about the upcoming leadership race.
The decisions set by OLP Executive Council today include:
- Candidate Registration cut-off date: Monday, Nov. 25, 2019 at 5:00 pm
- An entrance fee of $100,000, comprised of:
- $75,000 registration fee; and
- $25,000 conditionally refundable deposit
- Party Membership cut-off date: Monday, Dec. 2, 2019 at 6:00 pm
- Leadership Election Meeting Dates: Saturday, February 8 and Sunday, February 9, 2020
In addition the following appointments were made:
- Simon Tunstall, who served as Executive Director and Deputy Chief Returning Officer in 2013, was appointed Chief Returning Officer
- Christine McMillan, who served as Secretary General in 2013, was appointed Secretary General
Deb Roberts continues her role as Interim Executive Director, and Jack Siegel, who served as Chief Returning Officer in 1996 and 2013, continues to serve as Legal Counsel.
The leadership convention will take place on March 6-7, 2020 at the International Centre in Mississauga and the complete Rules of Procedure are to follow in the weeks ahead.
“We are kicking off another weekend with relentless work on some of the most crucial details pertaining to the leadership race,” said OLP President, Brian Johns. “Last weekend at our AGM, Ontario Liberals clearly communicated they are excited, ready and eager to take the next steps toward rebuilding our party.”
– 30 –
For further information: