OTTAWA, ON – Lucille Collard, MPP for Ottawa-Vanier and Ontario Liberal House Leader, is calling on the province to bring its attention to the Landlord and Tenant Board (LTB) issues affecting tens of thousands of Ontarians.
“In Ontario, the LTB is the only tool available to resolve problems faced by landlords and tenants,” said MPP Collard. “Doug Ford must take immediate action to fix the LTB backlog and help Ontarians in dire need of assistance.”
The government must:
- Immediately resume in-person hearings, with virtual hearing options available.
- Provide support to tenants with technology challenges and provide training to decision makers so they are responsive to the barrier’s tenants face.
- Create communication channels for tenants to contact the LTB, such as a fully staffed hotline, so people who have technical difficulties in an ongoing hearing can receive live assistance.
- Provide in-person counter service to accept evidence and provide support for self-represented parties.
- Hire a team of former experienced Adjudicators to tackle the backlog of cases.
- Conduct an Inquiry to assess and report on the justice service delivery of the LTB.
“Equitable access to justice is essential,” added MPP Collard. “The LTB now only helps those who can afford the costs and the wait times, while more vulnerable Ontarians are left exposed to months of waiting, renovictions, and worsening situations. Some are losing essential income, while others are losing their homes.”