John Fraser, Ontario Liberal Party critic for Long Term Care made the following statement:
Today, Doug Ford doubled-down on a toothless government-led Commission rather than the full Independent Public Inquiry that Ontario families expect and deserve.
To make matters worse, while families are grieving and desperate for answers, Doug Ford is wasting precious time. A full month has passed since Doug Ford committed to his Commission on the crisis in long-term care, letting 30 days pass without action or work being done.
Ontario families with parents and grandparents in our nursing homes need to see progress today to keep their loved ones safe. The government must stop dithering and take decisive action today, including:
- A basic care guarantee with staffing levels that will meet each resident’s daily needs
- Raise the wages of the Personal Support Workers to stabilize the workforce.
- Adequate supply of personal protective equipment and proper infection control training and management.
- Address the risks in aging facilities with four bed ward rooms by creating extra spaces.
- Inspect all long term care homes and provide support for those homes struggling to meet standards
- Stop preventing access for essential family caregivers and support them with infection control training, personal protective equipment and a clear provincial policy for access.